Saturday, June 2, 2018

Eulogy


Today was rough. 

There were so many people there, people who loved my mom, and who she loved.  
This is what I read during the eulogy" 

“There is a sacredness in tears.  They are not the mark of weakness, but of power.  They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues.  They are messengers of overwhelming grief… and unspeakable love.”

Washington Irving got that right.  My tears are not a sign of weakness.  They ARE messengers of grief and love.  They show in the physical sense, the grief I have within me.  They make my emotion of deep love visible to the naked eye. 

I think all of us can agree that Linda was a special woman.  We wouldn’t be here, gathered to remember her, if she wasn’t.  As I look around at all of your faces, I can’t help but think she was one lucky lady.  Just take a look around at all the people who loved her.  The more I think about it, maybe we were the lucky ones.  We were the ones embraced by her unconditional love and support.  I’m sure everyone one of us has “that one memory” or “Linda story” that stands out and will be remembered and cherished for all your years to come. 

She wore many different hats thought-out her life: Daughter, sister, wife, mother, nonnie, as well as: friend, coworker, mentor, confidant and problem solver.  No matter what hat she wore for you, she always wore it with a huge smile.

Ah, that smile.  How could you not love that beautiful smile.  It was virtually impossible to remain in a foul mood when she flashed that thing at you!  I’m often told that she will be remembered for her smile, but I will remember her for being my unconditional supporter. 

I ran everything past my mom.  The day I forgot Celli had a half day and left her hanging at school, I called mom.  I needed to know that I wasn’t the most horrible mother on the planet.   When I got a promotion at work, I called mom.  She was the first person I wanted to share my happiness with.  I wanted more than anything to be someone she could be proud of.  Even on our off days, she was there for me.  Everyone keeps saying, remember the good times, but you know what?  There is nothing I wouldn’t give for even one of the not so good times right now, just so I could be with her again. 

Vicki Harrison said, “Greif is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing .  Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming.  All we can do is learn to swim.”

This is so true of grief, but I have found that what Earl Grollman said continues that thought perfectly. “ Greif is not a disorder, a disease or sign of weakness.  It is an emotional, physical and spiritual necessity, the price you pay for love.  The only cure for grief is to grieve.”

Mom, you are greatly missed.  I would not be the person I am today without you.  I’m sorry I didn’t have more time with you, but I know you’re here, watching over your grandbabies.  I love you forever and always.

4 comments: